Friday, July 26, 2013

The greatest and the least of them

The greatest thing to have and to give is Love. 
I doubt anybody can refute that, as much as they may expound or argue about its definition or components.

I know what true love is, because I have received the greatest gift of salvation.

Every night alone in bed, I lick my wounds and I feel sorry for the person I am, and then I am reminded that my Father in Heaven looks at me lovingly and longingly, and every night... the prodigal son returns home to the Father.

Because of that, I have learnt to love the people around me. Even when they don't love me.

I must say however, that I am growing weak, and tired.

And once again my friends, I question... "What is love?" 
And by that, I don't mean the Godly love that I have come to experience, accept and enjoy.

I  mean the love that exists in this world, in our communities, that roll of the tip of our tongues.

Love is giving your all, but love is also learning to accept the grace and the gifts that you have been presented with.

So many of us try to be heroes of our own might. 
We refuse to take help, but all we want is to give, thinking that this "unconditional" giving will build us up and earn us brownie points with our Sovereign King.

Some others think love is measured by a cup, a kiss, a hug, a thought, money, bags, shoes... tangible, countable acts of giving.

And so, love on earth loses it's beauty. From a beacon of hope and light to the leash that hangs around your neck, the lock that sits on the door of your heart, the shaded glasses that sit on the bridge of your nose, the chains that weigh down your feet and the cuffs that restrict your hands.

We have taken love, and made it cheap.

We have associated love with conditions, romantic, friendly, equal, fair, accountable, reject-able.

Love, lifts you up.

Love, should not weigh you down.

Love, is as essential as a glass of plain water.

Simple, and pure.

Love is. 


No comments: